Wednesday, August 8, 2012

New Music Tuesday!


Every Tuesday is an exciting new day for music! And an exciting day to write about it. Here are a few selections worth checking out (or avoiding), with links to articles, reviews, videos and anything else the Internet could provide...Happy Listening!

New Releases...
Sixpence None The Richer - Lost in Transition
The end of August into Fall brings a plethora of noteworthy releases to the schedule, but this week felt like a throw away. Upon first glance, nothing really piqued my interest. I browsed Spotify's 'What's New' section to see if a new single had been released or maybe an EP. Didn't really see anything I thought was worth the time or energy. Until I saw Sixpence None The Richer. I rolled my eyes and laughed. Everyone remembers the movie She's All That (even if you don't want to admit it). After the movie's release in January, you couldn't swing a dead cat without hearing "Kiss Me," in 1999. And there's always their airy version of The La's, "There She Goes," released as the second single the same year. Their reputation has been one of bubblegum, Top 40. So my hesitation to listen was justified. But I hit play anyway. I didn't hate it. It didn't make me want to gag. It actually made me happy! Their sound wasn't so far off 1999 that they sounded like a different band, but their sound was different enough that it didn't remind me even a little of "Kiss Me," or their version of "There She Goes." I'm not sure I'd buy it, but I'll definitely listen again...
Tracks: My Dear Machine, Give It Back, Go Your Way

For a complete list of new releases, please visit AllMusic.

NEWS!!
1. Elton John - Madonna Fued Continues: Newsday
~ This article is more gossip than news, but I just had to... Elton can be pretty bitchy, but I can't say he's wrong on this one. Madonna does in fact look like a "fairground stripper,"whatever the fuck that means. More Skeletor than Pop Icon. She looks gross. And all the controversy she's stirring up is a little over-the-top even for her, well...the younger version of her. I didn't mean for this to turn into commentary on how much I loathe the Material Girl, so I'll leave it at this..it's time to retire Madge. 

2. Mars Rover Curiosity Lands, NASA releases new image and video: Washington Post
~ SO. FUCKING. COOL!!

3. The Monkees Getting Together for Fall Tour: Kovideo
~ Won't be the same, but keep the memory alive guys!!

Anticipation...
MNDR - 8/14/12
Bloc Party - 8/20/12
Alanis Morissette - 8/28/12
Amanda Palmer and the Grand Theft Orchestra - 9/11/12
David Byrne/St. Vincent - 9/11/12
Band of Horses - 9/17/12
Muse - 9/17/12
Mumford & Sons - 9/24
Grizzly Bear - 9/24