Tuesday, August 21, 2012

New Music Tuesday!

Every Tuesday is an exciting new day for music! And an exciting day to write about it. Here are a few selections worth checking out (or avoiding), with links to articles, reviews, videos and anything else the Internet could provide...Happy Listening!

New Releases.


Bloc Party
Spotify: Bloc Party – Four
Review link: 411 Mania

I don't think I got passed track five.

There are a lot of people who like Bloc Party and I have tried to like them, but it just doesn't happen for me. You'd think I'd just give up, but I can't. If everyone else gets it, why don't I? It's a mystery, but one that will have to remain unsolved.




Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti
Spotify: Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti – Mature Themes
Review link: Boston Globe

I don't think I got passed track three.

Summer of 2010 I was living part time at the beach. I fancied a local that worked at one of the stands around the corner from where I lived. His taste in music was interesting. Some I liked, others I didn't and a few I pretended to like. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti was one of those bands. Talk about a band I don't get. This might be #1 on that list.

I don't live at the beach anymore so I no longer have to pretend. This album/artist is fucking weird. Are they weird because that's who they are? Or are they weird because sometimes hipsters think it's cool to be weird? I have no idea. Regardless of their reasons, I couldn't bring myself to listen to the entire album so this review isn't really a review, but instead a cry out to those that like or understand why people like this band for a little insight.



MNDR (released 8/14/12)
Spotify: MNDR – Feed Me Diamonds
Review link: CoS

I hate to be negative, because I know the amount of time and work that goes into putting together an album, but this album was a major disappointment for me.

As I said previously, the summer of 2010, I was living at the beach part time. The life of leisure sounds awesome, but tends to be a little boring. So I used the opportunity to scour music sites and find as much new music as I possibly could. I found a Summer Mixtape put together by Stereogum. On it was this amazing dark, but honest and smokey track called "I Go Away," by an artist I had never heard of before, MNDR. I had to Google to figure out how to even pronounce it (side note: pronounced Man-dar). I listened to that song at least 100 times over the course of the next month, keeping it on constant replay. Tried to find an album, EP anything and was able to find E.P.E. which had been released that year. Bought it. Loved it. Dance music meets Williamsburg's hipster scene. Sounds awful, but it wasn't.

Anxiously awaited the announcement of a full length album which came at some point earlier this year. There are times an album is hyped so much it has no other choice but to fail. There are times an album lives up to the hype. Most fall somewhere in between. After listening to Feed Me Diamonds several times, I tried. I tried SO hard. Was even super stoked to find the song that had attracted me to MNDR in the first place was included on this album! Sadly. For me, this album was an incredible disappointment and failed to live up to the hype I created for myself.

Tracks: I Go Away

For a complete list of new releases, please visit All Music.

News.
1: Download new AC Newman track "I'm Not Talking" The Key - XPN

2: Dwight Yoakam Teams With Beck for "A Heart Like Mine"  Rolling Stone

3: Dinosaur Jr. video for "Watch the Corners"  CoS

Anticipation.
Alanis Morissette - 8/28/12
Animal Collective - 9/4/12
Amanda Palmer and the Grand Theft Orchestra - 9/11/12
David Byrne/St. Vincent - 9/11/12
The xx - 9/11/12
Band of Horses - 9/17/12
Mumford & Sons - 9/24
Grizzly Bear - 9/24
Muse - 10/2/12