Wednesday, July 9, 2014

I've got thick skin and an Elastic Heart; 1000 Forms Of Fear Album Review

Released: 7/8/14
Label: RCA (division of Sony Music Entertainment)
Noteworthy tracks: (all of them, but specifically...) Chandelier, Big Girls Cry, Hostage, Elastic Heart, Free The Animal, Fire Meet Gasoline

I have been anxiously awaiting the release of Sia's new album 1000 Forms of Fear since "Elastic Heart" was released on The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Soundtrack last Fall. And then again when "Chandelier" was released in March of this year. Two virtually perfect songs on one album could mean one of two things. This album was going to be full of "hit-worthy" tracks, since Sia is an acclaimed songwriter for others and not just herself ("Pretty Hurts" - Beyonce, to name just one...) the chances that she would really knock her own album out of the park were pretty good. Or the rest of the album would be an incredible disappointment, yielding the only two tracks worth listening to previewed before the album was even finished. I mentioned to a friend yesterday that I was nervous to listen to the album, I didn't want to be disappointed. So many of my favorite tracks have been accompanied by less than stellar releases. One of the pitfalls to releasing singles so far in advance of the full release. 

After listening to the album back-to-back-to-back, I can categorically say this album is phenomenal. Sia absolutely knocks it so far out of the park, the ball is never found. Each track brings something unique but cohesive to this collection of songs. Feel free to do what I did and listen three times in a row. Afterwards, I'm fairly certain you will be in love with this album as much as I am. Now, the question is...will she tour in support of this album? She has already done several appearances for "Chandelier" and in promo for the album, however it is unlikely she will tour. Sia is typically one who shies away from celebrity and public appearances in general, so my guess would be she will skip a nationwide/worldwide tour. Total bummer and I hope she proves me wrong...

"Chandelier" (Official Video)