Tuesday, September 4, 2012

New Music Tuesday!

Every Tuesday is an exciting new day for music! And an exciting day to write about it. Here are a few selections worth checking out (or avoiding), with links to articles, reviews, videos and anything else the Internet could provide...Happy Listening!

New Releases.

Alanis Morrisette
Spotify: Alanis Morissette – havoc and bright lights
Review link: Glamour
I do my best when writing reviews, not to read anything about the album before I listen. I don't want someone else's opinion influencing mine. In this case though, I had to read up just a little.

The music of the 90s means a lot to me. It was my music. Picked by me, that my parents didn't understand. Which made it all the more perfect. When artists from the 90s, that I have lionized since, release new material I feel the need to brace myself. Nothing lasts forever, not even music. The Alanis sound I fell in love with in 1995 is not the same sound of 2012. Which is good! But it's bad... I felt I needed to prepare myself for what was to come and I was right in doing so. This is not the Alanis of Jagged Little Pill. This album is an older, more mature and grown up Alanis who became a mom a few years ago. There is NOTHING wrong with the evolution we all go through in life, it's something to celebrate. I would NOT want to be the same person now as I was in 1995, but there is something romantic about the past regardless of how long ago that past was...

All that being said, this album is not for me. Perhaps I am stuck in the past, but I still prefer the days of "You Outta Know," even if it was a song about Dave Coulier.

Tracks: Guardian, Empathy

Minus the Bear
Spotify: Minus The Bear – Infinity Overhead
Review link: Under the Gun Review
I can honestly say I do not know too much about Minus the Bear's catalog. The band has been around for at least 10 years, so you'd think I'd know more, but I do not. Funny thing is, I have one of their albums, but like a few others they get lost in the shuffle of my favorites, collecting dust only to be brought out when organizing or rearranging.

Anyway. Knowing almost nothing about the band, I like this album. I took a look at their Wiki to get an idea of where they're from, etc. and the bio information made a point of mentioning their playful time signatures. Not something you would ordinarily think about in music, but it is so apparent that it's hard not to notice. Which I think makes the music more interesting. Something different. Grabs your attention and makes you want to listen to the end. After this album, I think I'll dust off Planet of Ice and check out some others...

Tracks: Toska, Heaven is a Ghost Town

For a complete list of new releases, please visit

NEWS.

1. No Doubt "Push and Shove" produced by Diplo: CoS

2. Foo Fighters to perform at DNC: CoS

3. Seth MacFarlane and Frank Ocean will kick off the next season of Saturday Night Live: AV Club

Anticipation.
Animal Collective - 9/4/12
Cat Power - 9/4/12
Stars - 9/4/12
Amanda Palmer and the Grand Theft Orchestra - 9/11/12
David Byrne/St. Vincent - 9/11/12
The xx - 9/11/12
Band of Horses - 9/18/12
Dinosaur Jr. - 9/18/12
Mumford & Sons - 9/25
Grizzly Bear - 9/24
Muse - 10/2/12