Wednesday, July 11, 2012

New Music Tuesday!

Every Tuesday is an exciting new day for music! And an exciting day to write about it. Here are a few selections worth checking out (or avoiding), with links to articles, reviews, videos and anything else the Internet could provide...Happy Listening!

New Releases...

After last week's lackluster release schedule, I am thrilled (and relieved) with this week's review choices. I picked the following albums to review, for one very simple reason. I had never heard anything by either of them. Ever. Not even the band names sounded familiar to me. Not to toot my own horn, but that doesn't happen so often. I am constantly browsing music blogs, magazines, websites, doing my best to keep myself as informed as humanly possible. Which can be a little daunting, there is A LOT of information out there. But. Such is the life of the music obsessed...

Saint Motel - Voyeur
Review link: Zap Town Mag
Seriously. The find of the year. I love when I click willie-nillie on albums with no knowledge of what I am about to hear and am INCREDIBLY surprised at the amazingness I hear. As stated previously, I had never heard of Saint Motel prior to first click. My first instinct is to Google. Where are they from? How many albums have I not heard in addition to this one? What do they look like? Something we never used to be able to do, but now have the power of information at our fingertips, literally. Your first glance of the band used to come in the form of a music video or prior to my generation, Ed Sullivan and the like. Google managed to unearth a fairly sparse Wiki page which I suppose contained enough info to feed my curiosity. Another band that hails from the City of Angels. Quartet that met in college, film school to be more specific. This is in fact their debut full-length.

I'm sure there are a handful of bands you could say Saint Motel sounds like, but I have never "heard" this album before. Each song is a different dimension. The album sounds like it all fits together, but yet each song brings something completely different.

Tracks: Feed Me Now, Honest Feedback

Husky - Forever So
Review link: Music OMH
Technically this is not a new release. Well, not for anyone but the US... Originally from Australia, Husky signed with grunge superpower Sub Pop Records earlier this year (March-ish) making them Sub Pop's first Aussie act, EVER. Released in the US 7/10, Forever So, is the debut album from the quartet. At a glance the four guys that make up Husky, could be my neighbors in Greenpoint or even hipster-heaven Williamsburg. They could already be your favorite band even though you've never heard them before. They have a familiar sound, but are just different enough to remind you, you have never heard them before. 

Haunting. Full, lush. Heartfelt. The sound is incredible. Forever So is the type of album you play when you are in love or falling out love or even on a rainy day while reading a book. It is just the sound you want when you want life to slow down for a little while. When you need a moment to reflect. 

Tracks: Tidal Wave, Animals & Freaks, How Do You Feel

Other releases worth mentioning...

Zac Brown Band - Uncaged
Spotify: Zac Brown Band – Uncaged


Marina & The Diamonds - Electra Hearts
Spotify: Marina and The Diamonds – Electra Heart


Family of the Year - Loma Vista
Spotify: Family of the Year – Loma Vista

For a complete list of new releases, please visit AllMusic.com

NEWS!!

1. Janis Joplin biopic is next for Nina Arianda after 'Venus in Fur': LA Times
~ I don't know enough about her to hate this idea, so the jury is still out on this one...

2. Seth Meyers responds to 'Live' hosting rumors: NY Daily News
~ I just can't see Meyers giving up SNL for 'Live.' Meyers is funny, not boring...sorry Kelly.

3. Frank Ocean's album is bigger than 'he': LA Times
~ I won't be picking up this amazing piece of musical awesomeness until the physical release next Tuesday, so I haven't been reading too much (I copy/pasted the link without reading!) about the album, though I know it's going to be amazing. You'll hear more from me on this and why I'm waiting til next week to buy it, SOON!

4. Slash Speaks After Hollywood Walk of Fame Dedication: Rolling Stone
~ CONGRATULATIONS SLASH!!! We love you!!!

Releases to get excited about...

Passion Pit - 7/24
MNDR - 8/14
Band of Horses - 9/18