Tuesday, March 20, 2012

New Music Tuesday!

Every Tuesday is an exciting new day for music! Here are a few selections worth checking out, with links to articles, reviews, videos and anything else I could find! As well as newsworthy items for everything else...


Happy Listening!


NEW RELEASES:
The Shins - Port of Morrow
Spotify: The Shins – Port Of Morrow
LA Times Review: Album Review: The Shins - Port of Morrow
I'll be honest, I don't like The Shins. And there is a bit of a back story behind the reason. No, I didn't get my heart broken or suffer a crushing life altering experience while listening to a Shins track. Nothing of the sort. I just don't like em. But, I've pretended to like em since that damn movie Garden State came out in 2004. I can honestly say I'm not sure that I ever heard them before that movie, but that movie did it for me. I became a hater of a band I pretended to like because EVERYONE seemed to like them and thought I should too. Typically I wouldn't care, but at this time in my life I was young and impressionable and wanted people to think my opinion about music was valid. Now. I don't mind shouting it from the rooftops that I do not like The Shins. So having gotten that off my chest, I can say this album didn't convert me to a believer, but it didn't make me hate them more, so I suppose that's a step in the right direction. The album sounds like The Shins and for their fans that is probably a good thing. For me, I'd prefer James Mercer to ditch The Shins all together and concentrate on Broken Bells full time. Again, I didn't hate the album, but I gave it a listen once completely through and that was enough for me.

Choir of Young Believers - Rhine Gold
Spotify: Not Available
Listen to snippets of tracks: Here
Drowned in Sound Review: Review
I had never heard of Choir of Young Believers until browsing one of my favorite music blogs, Music Snobbery, few months back. The author posted an article talking about the upcoming album with a YouTube  video of just the track with the album cover and I almost fell off my chair. The lead singer has a voice a la Ben Bridwell (Band of Horses) but the music is much different. I can't describe it but to say there is something about it that feels familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

The Hunger Games: Songs from District 12 And Beyond
Spotify: Various Artists – The Hunger Games: Songs From District 12 And Beyond
Rolling Stone Review: Album Review: The Hunger Games: Songs from District 12 and Beyond
I haven't had the chance to read the books yet (book 1 now in my possession to start this evening!!), but this series has turned into a PHENOMENON! Billboards all over the city, people blowing up Facebook, Twitter, even Pinterest! Definitely peeks my curiosity. And the soundtrack only adds to that curiosity. A Who's Who among indie circles I am completely intrigued. And. I actually like the Maroon 5 and Taylor Swift tracks! World gone mad... ;)

NEWS...
HUNGER GAMES: All over the place!!
'Hunger Games' Survives the Hype: Toronto Sun: Hunger Games Survives the Hype
'Hunger Games' Will Leave Fans Hungry for More: Kansas City: Hunger Games will leave fans hungry for more

DWTS:
Urkle's got move: Washington Post: Dancing With The Stars
Dancing With Stars kicks off with high marks, spray tans, celebrity Tweets: Detroit Free Press: Dancing With The Stars kicks off with high marks...