Tuesday, June 12, 2012

New Music Tuesday!

Every Tuesday is an exciting new day for music! And an exciting day to write about it. Here are a few selections worth checking out (or avoiding), with links to articles, reviews, videos and anything else the Internet could provide...Happy Listening!


New Releases...


Motion City Soundtrack - Go
I have a soft spot in my heart for Motion City Soundtrack. I became a fan in 2005 upon the release of Commit This To Memory. I was at a Vans Warped Tour show in August that year to see My Chemical Romance and a friend suggested I check MCS out. I thought they had an odd name and hadn't even bothered to look them up online before I went to the show, but there I was, among the youth of Pennsylvania, dancing around like a fool. Completely catchy, pop-punk, with the most energetic (and HOT) keyboard player I had ever seen in my entire life. I instantly fell in love. It's no surprise our musical tastes change as we get older, the things you once found appealing may not shine so much years later. So, I will admit I don't listen to MCS on repeat as often as I did seven years ago, but I do play Commit This To Memory whenever I need to hear ridiculously depressing lyrics paired with ridiculously catchy pop-punk tunes.

On Go, they somehow manage to sound older without changing the integrity of their legacy. They're still pop-punk. The songs are still about heart ache and break and the crazy journey we all go on in life. But the actual sound, is more mature. It still sounds like them, but the older version of them.  I suppose growing up happens to the best of us. I wouldn't say I like this album more or less than anything else they have released, but I will say I am looking forward to getting to know them better at this age!
Tracks: True Romance, Bad Idea, Give Up/Give In

Metric - Synthetica
It actually makes me laugh that Synthetica and Go (MCS) came out on the same day! I found them together, though I recognize they are MILES apart from each other in musical style, because they appeared in the same chapter of my life I can't help but think of them together. I have such fond memories. I lived in New Jersey for a few months when I first started working in NYC. The ride from the South Orange station on the NJT to Penn Station is a little over an hour so I had plenty of time to listen to music, read, sleep, whatever. Live It Out was on heavy rotation at this time. I think it's when I fully discovered my taste in music. For so long I was listening to either what my parents listened to or what the guy in my life at the time was listening to, although I do have to credit him with my discovery of a lot of really great bands, they weren't my own. Metric, was my own.

The album is solid. There isn't one thing I can say I don't like about it. Lou Reed even makes an appearance on "The Wanderlust," and I don't hate it. I know it's committing music nerd treason to say this, but I can't hide anymore...I don't like Lou Reed. But I do like this song and his part in it.
According to Metric front woman, Emily Haines, Synthetica "is about forcing yourself to confront what you see in the mirror when you stand still long enough to catch a reflection. Synthetica is about being able to identify the original in a long line of reproductions. It's about what is real vs what is artificial." - Spin Magazine 4/17/2012
Tracks:  Artificial Nocturne, Lost Kitten, The Wanderlust, Nothing But Time
"I'm just as fucked up as they say..." - from "Artificial Nocturne"


For a complete list of new releases, please visit All Music!

NEWS!!

Passion Pit premiere new song, "I'll Be Alright" exclusively for NME - this album is going to be amazing...

Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison holograms coming soon: Consequence of Sound - Tupac is quite the trendsetter...

The Oh My Rockness Guide to Free Summer Shows (NYC): Oh My Rockness