Tuesday, April 10, 2012

New Music Tuesday!

Every Tuesday is an exciting new day for music! Here are a few selections worth checking out, with links to articles, reviews, videos and anything else I could find! As well as newsworthy items for everything else... 

Happy Listening!
My apologies for the delay in my post! Busy day... 

New Releases...
Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls
Spotify: Alabama Shakes – Boys & Girls
Billboard Review: Alabama Shakes Arrive with Boys & Girls
This album feels old. Feels like it was released in the wrong era. Which isn't a bad thing. Lately, music has started to feel...stale, generic. This album is a stand out among the quid pro quo of what 2012 has had to offer so far. Listen for five minutes and you'll get it. Blast from the past in the present. Lead singer Brittany Howard is paving her legendary path in music. Can you believe she's only 23?! She sings with the experience of a woman tortured by love and life for decades. This album makes me jealous of my parents who got to experience the 60s and 70s in real time...but at least now I have Alabama Shakes in my life. 

Florence + the Machine - MTV Presents Unplugged: Florence + the Machine
Spotify: Florence + The Machine – MTV Presents Unplugged: Florence + The Machine
Business Week Review: Florence in Catsuit Brings Art Deco, Pompous Rock to U.S.
The Unplugged album. Quite possibly the ONLY thing left from the legacy of MTV. I won't bore you with my opinions on MTV's tragic decline into mediocrity. No. That is for another day. But I will say, I had no idea the Unplugged album was still in production. Color me surprised when I happened upon the title on All Music. Florence has a great voice and some truly noteworthy tracks. Applause and banter between tracks only makes her even more adorable. I miss my MTV...

Halestorm - The Strange Case of...
Spotify: Halestorm – The Strange Case of...
Since my opinion would be completely biased on this one, I won't review...but I can say I find the first track simply delightful!! 

M. Ward - A Wasteland Companion
Spotify: M. Ward – A Wasteland Companion
Rolling Stone Review: Album Reviews - A Wasteland Companion
I'm not sure I really heard this album when I played it. I listened, but my ears just weren't into it. There wasn't anything that stood out or make me take notice, so it pretty much served simply as background music to my day. Of course Zooey Deschanel performs on a song or two which made it adorable, but not great, though it seems I may be the only one of this opinion.

For a complete list of releases check AllMusic!

NEWS...
1) Madonna's 'MDNA' Sets Record for Biggest Sales Drop... (side note: I took too much pleasure typing out that sentence) - report: Madonna's MDNA Sets Record for Biggest Sales Drop

2) Bart lives in OREGON! Simpson's Creator Says Real Springfield is in Oregon 

3) COUNTDOWN TO COACHELLA!! 3 days - Coachella.com