Tuesday, May 15, 2012

New Music Tuesday!

Every Tuesday is an exciting new day for music! And an exciting day to write about it. Here are a few selections worth checking out (or avoiding), with links to articles, reviews, videos and anything else the Internet could provide...

Happy Listening!

New Releases...

Lisa Marie Presley - Storm & Grace
Spotify: Lisa Marie Presley – Storm & Grace
Review: Rolling Stone
I sort of feel bad for Lisa Marie Presley. I imagine there is an incredible amount of pressure to deliver an amazing album considering who her father was...or maybe people don't care. But, I try to give her the benefit of the doubt. She is not her father and (happily) she is not trying to be her father. She is trying to find her own voice. And on Storm & Grace, I'm not sure she's found it. The first track had me, it seemed there was a chance I would actually like this album. Kinda of a bluegrass meets edgy rock feel (only slightly like the Robert Plant, Alison Krauss album Raising Sand, which I now realize makes sense considering they were both produced by T Bone Burnett), but as soon as she opened her mouth, she lost me. It's not that I think she has a terrible voice, though I don't think it's great or even good, I just don't think her voice compliments the music, which is the shining moment of every song. Perhaps this album would have been better suited for a different singer? Not sure, but something about her voice just feels off. Too deep. Too breathy. Trying too hard to add more notes than necessary in certain spots. Not entirely polished. Probably, all of the above.
Tracks: Storm & Grace, I Was Wrong

Adam Lambert - Trespassing
Spotify: Adam Lambert – Trespassing (Deluxe Version)
Review: AfterElton
I DARE you to listen to this album without dancing. So contagious! In a very good way. It still baffles me how Kris Allen could have beat Lambert in season eight of American Idol. Actually, it doesn't. Knowing how I feel about American Idol (see here) it doesn't surprise me that someone with recognizable talent could be passed up. ANYWAY, I like Adam Lambert a lot. He is unapologetic for being who he is. And who is, is fucking fabulous. Amazing voice. Clear. Strong. Sure of himself. And that hair. I mean seriously. He has AMAZING hair.
Tracks: Naked Love, Broken English

Best Coast - The Only Place
Spotify: Best Coast – The Only Place
Review: AVClub
Fine. I'll move to California. That's what you want Best Coast, isn't it?! Okay, I'm not actually moving, but when I hear this album, I give it some serious thought. The album's title track pretty much sums it all up. In "The Only Place," Bethanny Cosentino sings "Why would you live anywhere else?" and I find myself asking the very same question. Especially now. While NYC seems to be the Pacific Northwest. But California makes me think of beach picnics and frolicking in the water. And this album definitely delivers that laid back vibe of a lazy, warm California day. Even the slower tracks. With an entirely modern spin to their sound, they are the 50s surfin' safari of today! And thank goodness! Isn't anybody happy anymore?! Soooooo much depressing music out there, it is refreshing to hear some sunshine!
Tracks: The Only Place, Do You Love Me Like You Used To, Up All Night

For a complete list of new releases please visit All Music!

NEWS!!

Animal Collective Announce New Album -  Pitchfork

Passion Pit Reveals Gossamer Artwork, Tracklist - Consequence of Sound
**I am RIDICULOUSLY excited for this album**

Walkmen - "The House You Made" New Track - Stereogum