Wednesday, February 1, 2012

In Olden Days


Two weeks ago I watched Woody Allen's delightful new movie, Midnight in Paris. The movie made me positively glow with happiness, a real feel good story that's very well written. In the movie, there is a scene where Owen Wilson's character goes to a party and meets F. Scott Fitzgerald and his lovely, but crazy wife, Zelda. Wilson's character is a bit confused at the environment around him including the familiarity of the music being played at the piano by a gentleman he learns to be Cole Porter. I didn't recall ever hearing the song before but immediately following the movie's end got myself to Spotify to hear more. To my utter delight the first item on the list of tracks for Cole Porter, Anything Goes. It is no dramatization to say I jumped off my couch, grabbed my wallet and bought myself a ticket to see the Broadway Revival of Anything Goes starring Sutton Foster.

I waited two whole weeks for this moment, but last night was the night. I sat in my seat, row B seat 107 smack dab in the middle of the orchestra section of the Stephen Sondheim Theater, in eager anticipation. When the curtain lifted and the first scene began I couldn't help but smile as if I had just seen Santa Claus in the flesh. Sutton Foster took the stage after a few moments and the crowd applauded (side note: if you haven't had the chance to hear this woman sing, I dare say your life is not complete. A bit dramatic I know, but do yourself a favor and watch the video below...). It felt as if seeing this show on this day was all part of a greater scheme. I've been over the moon for nostalgia the last few weeks and this only furthered my obsession. Foster took the stage in the most magnificent gold top, long black skirt and black fox (faux?) fur boa. A natural brunette, hidden under a gaggle of blonde curls, she dripped 1934. For two and a half hours I drooled over dresses and hats and gloves and SHOES. And of course the singing and dancing. Being in a theater, watching this particular show, for those few hours made me feel warm and happy and so curious for a past I didn't have the pleasure of living.

I could gush for pages about the rest of the show, but I will spare you the musings of an absolute music(al) nerd and just say, whether for the music, the costumes, the dance or for the voice! Please do yourself a favor and go see Anything Goes (starring Sutton Foster until April 2012 - new cast May 1st - Sept 9th to be announced).




Sutton Foster and cast perform "Anything Goes" for the 2011 Tony Awards